Interesting Facts About State Bank of India
State Bank of India is one of the largest public sector banking and financial services company in India.
SBI is the oldest commercial bank in the India. The old name of SBI is Imperial Bank of India.
It was founded on 1 July 1955 and was nationalised on 2 June 1956.
SBI was established in Kolkata in 1806 during the British Raj and was named as Bank of Bengal.
Shri John Mathai is the first chairman of State Bank of India.
The first women chairman of State Bank of India is Arundhati Bhattacharya.
It’s Headquarters is in Mumbai, Maharashtra. SBI is the first bank in India opens its branch in international level.
SBI has 49,577 ATMs & SBI group (including associate banks) has 58,541 ATMs.
The 15,000th branch was inducted on 17th August 2013 by Ex-Finance Minister P. Chidambaram at Sooranam Village in Tamil Nadu.
The 25,000th SBI ATM was inaugurated on 31st March, 2011 by the Chairman of State Bank of India Shri O.P. Bhatt as it was the day of his retirement.
SBI has 18,354 branches in India. SBI has 191 overseas offices across 36 countries having the largest presence in foreign markets among Indian banks.
The Slogans of SBI are: “PURE BANKING, NOTHING ELSE”, “WITH YOU – ALL THE WAY”, “A BANK OF THE COMMON MAN”, “THE BANKER TO EVERY INDIAN”, “THE NATION BANKS ON US”
There are 5 Associate Banks in SBI. They are:
|Name of the Associate Bank||Year of Foundation|
|State Bank of Mysore||1913|
|State Bank of Patiala||1917|
|State Bank of Hyderabad||1941|
|State Bank of Travancore||1945|
|State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur||1963|
SBI Non-Banking Subsidiaries:
SBI Capital Markets Ltd
SBI Funds Management Pvt Ltd
SBI Factors & Commercial Services Pvt Ltd
SBI Cards & Payments Services Pvt. Ltd. (SBICPSL)
SBI DFHI Ltd
SBI Life Insurance Company Limited
SBI General Insurance
1. State Bank of India is the first Indian bank got the place in the Fortune Global list.
2. SBI got the Bank of the Year award in 2008 awarded by the Bankers’ Magazine London.
3. SBI was named the 29th most reputed company in the world according to Forbes 2009.
4. SBI got the “Most Admired Infrastructure Financier Award” by KPMG.
5. SBI was ranked 298th in the Fortune Global 500 rankings of the world’s biggest corporations for the year 2012.
6. SBI was 50th Most Trusted brand in India as per the Brand Trust Report 2013.
7. SBI was ranked as the top bank in India based on tier 1 capital by The Banker magazine in 2014.Exams RiderDownload Our Apps & Watch Latest News