August Month Important National News 2018:
1. The IT Ministry launched a desktop software e-Aksharayan in a conference for Indian Languages Technology Industry “Bhashantara”, in New Delhi. The objective is to enable editing and printing of text in scanned documents. The software e-Aksharayan was launched in 7 Indian languages. They are namely: Hindi, Bangla, Malayalam, Gurmukhi, Tamil, Kannada & Assamese.
2. India got the 96th rank the United Nation’s E-Government Development Index (EGDI) 2018.
Top 3 Countries are:
3. Republic of Korea.
3. The Niti Aayog confirms the digital payments market in India is set to become a trillion-dollar industry in the next five years.
4. Nokia will supply T-Mobile, the third-biggest U.S. mobile carrier, with $3.5 billion in next-generation 5G network.
5. Rajasthan has become the first State in the country to implement the national policy on biofuels unveiled.
6. The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has launched a dedicated portal to connect cargo owners and shippers with real-time data on the availability of vessels. The portal has been named as the Forum of Cargo Owners and Logistics Operators (FOCAL).
7. The Agricultural Scientists’ Recruitment Board (ASRB) will now be a 4 Member body instead of 3 Members. It will have a Chairperson and 3 Members.
8. The Maharashtra government has approved a proposal of Rs 7,952 crore for completing 6,624 water projects in 10,583 villages. The main aim of the proposal is to complete the works in Konkan, Nashik, Aurangabad, Amravati, Nagpur and Pune divisions.
9. Seven Indian companies named in the US Magazine Fortune 500 list of the world’s largest firms.
|1||137th||Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)|
|2||148th||Reliance Industries Ltd|
|3||197th||Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC)|
|4||216th||State Bank of India (SBI)|
|6||314||Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL)|
10. The World Economic Forum (WEF) for its solar train launched which helped to keep the environment clean. WEF has also posted a video describing the features of the solar powered railway station and train of our railways.
11. The Startup India Yatra launched in Raipur. Startup India is a flagship initiative of the Government of India. to promote job creation in tier 2 and tier 3 towns and cities.
12. This is the first-ever festival for insects that help maintain ecosystem and is being organized from Aug 3 to Sept 1 jointly by World Wide Fund (WWF) India and the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS). India has about 500 different types of species at present, while around 3012 species were recorded worldwide until 2010.
13. NITI Aayog has launched Move Hack, a global mobility hackathon to crowdsource solutions aimed at the future of mobility in India. The winners will be announced during the Move Summit 2018, which is also organized by NITI Aayog in September 2018 in New Delhi.
14. Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu launched a logo and tagline for Geographical Indications (GI) to increase awareness about Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) in the country. The slogan for the GI tag is- ‘Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India’.
15. Defense Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted the successful test of the Ballistic Missile Interceptor Advanced Area Defence (AAD) from Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
16. Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries (SAATHI) to accelerate the adoption of energy efficient textile technologies in the power loom sector and cost savings due to use of such technology.
17. Ranchi-based software developer Ranjit Srivastava is developing the world’s first Hindi-speaking humanoid robot, claimed to cost just Rs50,000 so far.
18. Loksabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan handed over 5 crores LPG connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) to Smt Takrdiran of Delhi in the Parliament House.
19. The Lok Sabha passed a Bill establishing a National Sports University in Manipur as part of a vision to enhance country’s standing in sports.
20. BJP President Amit Shah will present on this occasion. Vasundhara Raje will travel more than 6,000 kilometers and cover 165 constituencies during the 40-day tour of the state.
21. Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) India has been elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for a period of two years. India got elected against Iran during voting which took place at the 44th annual gathering of AIBD in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
22. Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) is setting up the floating solar power plants on the three water storage reservoirs on its premises. Floating solar power plants would not only generate around 6 MW of energy but also minimize water evaporation from the reservoirs.
23. Bharti Airtel plans to provide optical fiber network in Tamil Nadu. It aims to improve network connectivity in the State.
24. Gautam Adani’s group won rights to retail CNG to automobiles and piped cooking gas to households in six cities on its own and another five in a joint venture with state-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC). Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB), IOC on its own won rights to four cities. Bharat Gas Resources Ltd, a unit of state-owned Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL), won a license for six cities and Torrent Gas Pvt Ltd also won a license for six cities.
25. Andhra Pradesh government launched ‘Mukhya Mantri Yuva Nestham’. Under the scheme, an allowance of Rs 1000 per month will be provided to unemployed youth in the state. About 12 lakh youths in the age group of 22-35 years will get the benefit of the scheme.
26. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved 122 new research projects at a cost of Rs 112 crore under IMPRINT-2, for advancing research in the high education institutions.
27. According to the National Council for Applied and Economic Research (NCAER)’s 2018, New Delhi is the most attractive state for investors. Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh got the second and third place.
28. Karnataka launched “Swachhameva Jayate” a rural cleanliness and sanitation campaign, in order
to achieve the status of Open Defecation Free (ODF).
29. Startup India has launched the Startup Academia Alliance programme, which is a unique mentorship opportunity between academic scholars and startups working in similar domains, to fulfill the Indian Government’s mission to promote the spirit of entrepreneurship in the country.
30. The Mughalsarai Railway Junction in Uttar Pradesh has been renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction Railway station. BJP National President Amit Shah inaugurated the renamed station.
31. Raksha Mantri launched Support for Prototype and Research Kickstart (SPARK) in defense, framework for IDEX partners, and promotion of startups under Make II procedure.
32. Union Minister of Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the transit campus of the Central University of Andhra Pradesh at the IT Business Incubation Centre at the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU).
33. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched the Defence India Startup Challenge in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
34. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched “Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana”, a scheme for the girl child. The scheme will provide Rs.54,100 for a girl child from her birth until she graduates.
35. Bidder Information Management System (BIMS) and Bhoomi Rashi and PFMS linkage – two IT initiatives of the Road Transport & Highways Ministry was launched by the Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari
36. The World’s first-ever thermal battery plant was unveiled in Andhra Pradesh by the state’s Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu. It was manufactured by the Bharat Energy Storage Technology Private Limited (BEST), the first-of-its-kind batteries will aim to boost renewable sources of energy production and reduce the dependence on non-renewable fossil fuel-based energy generation.
37. The 123rd Constitutional Amendment Bill giving constitutional status to the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) has got Parliamentary assent. It will give the institution all powers to safeguard the rights of the socially and educationally backward classes and fulfills a long pending commitment of the central govt to the OBCs.
38. The Union Government constituted a four-member Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu.
39. NITI Aayog’s International Conference on “Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling: Policy Prescriptions” was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Road Transport, Highways & Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi.
40. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Chief M. Karunanidhi passed away in Chennai. He was the 94-year-old veteran leader of Tamil Nadu.
41. Indo-Thailand joint Exercise “Maitree” between the Indian Army and Royal Thai Army which is running on in Thailand.
42. The National Green Tribunal constituted a committee, to be headed by a former Allahabad High Court judge, for monitoring the rejuvenation project of Ganga from Haridwar to Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.
43. Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and Tourism Minister Manohar Ajgaonkar announced the Goa Tourism Development Corporation’s app-based taxi service called “GOAMILES” in Panaji.
44. Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has now integrated its Mobile Apps namely DND 2.0 & MyCall with Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) Platform. UMANG is developed by National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
45. The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve in Sikkim has become the 11th Biosphere Reserve from India that has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR).
46. The Government of India has approved the extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central list till November 2018.
47. The Ministry of Human Resource Development has embarked on a major and new initiative Project called ‘Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds’ (SWAYAM), which will provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses. This covers all higher education subjects and skill sector courses.
48. Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) raised the entry fee to visit Taj Mahal from ₹1000 to ₹1100 for foreign tourists and from ₹40 to ₹50 for domestic tourists. The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries will now pay Rs. 540, including Rs. 500 as toll tax to visit the monument.
49. The Inspector-General of Police Roopa D, Home Guards and Civil Defence, announced that the department is to introduce technologies such as biometric and automated duty rotation systems in the Home Guards organization in Karnataka. It is to wipe out corruption in the department.
50. The Government of India has approved to raising of four additional battalions of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) to strengthen India’s disaster response set up at an estimated cost of Rs 637 crore.
51. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi unveiled a Booklet on “National Policy on Biofuels 2018”, and launched “Pro-Active and Responsive facilitation by Interactive and Virtuous Environmental Single window Hub” [PARIVESH] on the occasion of World Biofuel Day.
52. The state government of Maharashtra has announced a special assistance worth Rs 500 crore for the Other Backward Classes (OBC) community in the state. The main objective behind the special assistance is to help the OBC community develop employment opportunities for the youth.
53. The Global Innovation Index 2018 was launched in New Delhi by Principal Adviser, NITI Aayog & Member Secretary of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, Ratan P Watal. India got 57th rank.
Top 3 countries in the Global Innovation Index 2018:
54. The Rajya Sabha passed the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2018, which seeks to overturn a Supreme Court order that struck down the provision for the immediate arrest of those booked under the Act.
55. The National Stock Exchange (NSE), India’s largest equity bourse, has celebrated its silver jubilee by unveiling its new logo, which is a modern representation of a blooming marigold with red, yellow, orange, and blue hues.
56. The Karnataka cabinet approved to waive Rs.9,448.61 crore existing farm loans in respect of cooperative banks. The farmers can borrow up to Rs.1 lakh from cooperative banks in the first phase. It is expected to benefit around 20.38 lakh farmers.
57. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will launch a defense industrial corridor in Aligarh to develop specialized zones dedicated to defense production in the state. Six nodal points have been identified in the state are Agra, Aligarh, Lucknow, Kanpur, Chitrakoot and Jhansi for the corridor.
58. Minister of state for Culture (I/C), Dr Mahesh Sharma, released 3 books at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) in New Delhi:
|1||'Jewellery'||Dr Gulab Kothari.|
|2||'Ghats of Banaras'||Dr Sachidanand Joshi and|
|3||'Untold Story of Broadcasting'||Dr Gautam Chatterjee.|
59. The Government of India has extended e-visa facility for citizens of 165 countries at 25 airports and five seaports.
60. The Minister of State for Culture (I/C) and Minister of State for Environment Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma inaugurated an exhibition entitled “Prathibandhit Sahitya mein Swatantrata Sangram” (Freedom Movement through Proscribed Literature) in the premises of National Archives of India, in New Delhi. This exhibition of proscribed literature was from vast collection of poetry and prose that portrays the nationalistic fervour prevalent in the days of freedom struggle.
61. Santali becomes the first Indian tribal language to get own Wikipedia edition. It presently has content of about 70,000 words.
62. The National Green Tribunal has formed a committee to look into whether sub-regional plans for protection of Natural Conservation Zones (NCZs) were consistent with the regional plan prepared by the National Capital Region Planning Board.
63. Union Minister for Electronics & Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad released the document “Digital North East Vision 2022” in Guwahati, Assam. The Document emphasizes leveraging digital technologies to transform the lives of people of the northeast and enhance the ease of living.
64. Israel has opened a Visa Application Centre in Kolkata for tourists from West Bengal and the northeastern states to encourage more Indian travelers to visit that country.
65. Minister of Railways, Coal, Finance & Corporate Affairs, Piyush Goyal has released a report on Station Cleanliness conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI).
1. A1 category stations (out of 75):
1st: Jodhpur/North-Western Railway
2nd: Jaipur/North-Western Railway
3rd: Tirupati/South-Central Railway.
2. A category stations (out of a total of 332):
1st: Marwar/North Western Railway
2nd: Phulera/North -Western Railway
3rd: Warangal/South-Central Railway.
3. Zonal Railway rankings are:
1st: North Western Railway
2nd: South Central Railway
3rd: East Coast Railway.
66. The Union Government has unlocked green funds worth over Rs 66,000 crore to increase the country’s forest cover.
67. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced a user outreach to create awareness among the people about the do’s and dont’s of sharing their biometric identifier. The introduction of UIDAI is to make Aadhaar number and other personal information such as Permanent Account Number (PAN) and bank account number parallel.
68. Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has decided to stop free travel insurance starting September 1 and “Free insurance will be optional”. The insurance provided by the IRCTC.
69. The Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra inaugurated the new court complex in Hubballi, Karnataka.
70. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to celebrate Vikram Sarabhai centenary celebration starting in August 2019. This is to honour the visionary scientist and its legendary founding father Vikram Sarabhai.
71. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh announced that Chhattisgarh is the first among the 28 other states in the country to provide Right to Skills Development to the youth.
72. The Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri released the Ease of Living Index 2018 All the cities have been ranked on the basis of four parameters viz. institutional, social, economic and physical.
Top 3 Cities:
2. Navi Mumbai,
3. Greater Mumbai.
73. The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has rolled out the Smart City projects that will help New Delhi emerge as a world-class city. The projects are undertaken by the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
74. The Delhi Police inducted an all-woman Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team, consisting of 36 commandos are the first ever by any police force in India for anti-terrorist operations.
75. National Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank (NWGRB) was inaugurated at Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology’s (CCMB) Laboratory of Conservation of Endangered Species (LaCONES) facility in Hyderabad, Telangana. It is India’s first genetic resource bank.
76. According to a survey conducted by UK-based online market research and data analytics firm YouGov, State Bank of India (SBI) is considered to be the most patriotic brand.
Top 5 Most Patriotic Brand:
1. State Bank of India (SBI)
2. Tata Motors
4. Reliance Jio
77. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a financial aid of Rs 1,000 crore to the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay. He also inaugurated the new building of the Department of Energy Science and Engineering and Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering at IIT Bombay.
78. The Government of India has released 470 million Nepali Rupees grant for Terai roads project in Nepal. Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri handed over a cheque of grant to Secretary, Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport of Nepal, Madhusudan Adhikari in Kathmandu, Nepal.
79. Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari launched three short films for generating public awareness towards road safety.
80. NITI Aayog has launched “Pitch to MOVE” a mobility pitch competition that aims to provide budding entrepreneurs of India a unique opportunity to pitch their business ideas to a distinguished jury.
81. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the World’s Largest Healthcare Insurance to provide country’s poor access to quality and affordable health care, the government on announced the launch of Ayushman Bharat.
82. The Union Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated NDMC Smart City Projects. The projects include Smart Poles, Solar Tree, Ideation Centre, 50 LED interactive screens, Ambedkar Vatika and various other things.
83. The Forest Department of Karnataka is to launch a Green Mysuru drive under Hasiru Karnataka programme. The aim is to increase the tree cover of the city and the district. The program involves planting saplings in vacant spaces of government offices and schools, available space on the roadside, embankment abutting farmland and agricultural fields, courtyards etc.
84. Hisar Airport becomes the first licensed airport in Haryana was inaugurated by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
85. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee has passed away aged 93 in Delhi.
86. The Uttar Pradesh government has approached the Centre for its approval to rename Bareilly Airport to ‘Nath Nagri’.
87. According to the Kotak Wealth Hurun – Leading Wealthy Women 2018 report., Smitha V Crishna of the Godrej Group is the richest Indian woman.
88. For the first time, India’s space agency is planning to put an Indian astronaut for seven days in space at a cost less than Rs 10,000 crore as part of its manned mission by 2022, it was announced by ISRO Chairman K. Sivan on 15 August.
89. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an ambitious mission of sending an Indian astronaut to space by 2022 on board ‘Gaganyaan’. The mission, he said in his Independence Day address, would be launched using the Indian Space ResearchOrganisation’s (ISRO) own capabilities, and on successful completion, make India the fourth nation in the world to do so.
90. Ministry of Railway has made “Digital Screens” operational at 22 stations on this Independence Day as an innovative low-cost solution to spread awareness among public about the opulent heritage of Indian Railways.
91. The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh and the Director General of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UNFAO) to declare the upcoming year 2019 as the “International Year of Millets”.
92. India’s first Humboldt Penguin was born on 15th August at Mumbai’s Byculla zoo. As it was born on Independence Day, it was named as “The Freedom Baby”.
93. The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) released the Global Liveability Index 2018, the ranking of 140 global cities based on their living conditions. Delhi was ranked at 112th position and Mumbai fetched 117th spot.
94. The Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister launched Dial 100 Mobile app, which will help the needy at the time of emergency.
Top Three Cities are:
95. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami inaugurated four new taluks in southern districts, namely Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Thoothukudi and Tirunelveli, through video-conferencing from Chennai. The newly created taluks are:
1. Kallikudi in Madurai District
2. Raja Singa Mangalam in Ramanathapuram District
3. Eral in Thoothukudi District
4. Thisaiyanvilai in Tirunelveli District
96. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY) which provides annual cashless health coverage of Rs 5 lakh per beneficiary family per annum. More than 70 lakh families will be benefited by the scheme.
97. The Indian Army plans to scale the fifth highest mountain peak in the world, Mount Makalu (8485 meters). Makalu is an isolated peak and is located in the Mahalangur Himalayas, 19 km southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and Tibet, China. The Ministry of Defence said Director General of Military Training on Monday flagged off the journey from Delhi.
98. The Manipur Governor, Dr. Najma A. Heptulla inaugurated the project “Development of North East Circuit: Imphal & Khongjom” implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
99. Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sahyadri (F49) is the third and latest ship among the Shivalik Class of indigenously built stealth frigates and forms a part of the Eastern Fleet of Indian Navy.
100. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) constituted a group of experts from the health and nutrition sector to look into the issue of food labelling. The expert panel will be headed by B Sesikeran. Mr Sesikeran is the former director of National Institute of Nutrition (NIN)
101. India successfully flights tested the indigenously developed helicopter launched Anti-Tank Guided Missile “HELINA” from Pokhran in Rajasthan. It was designed and developed guided bombs Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) was also successfully flight tested from IAF aircraft at Chandan range in Jaisalmer.
102. The Indian and Thailand’s armed forces concluded a two-week long platoon level military exercise called “Exercise Maitree 2018” in Jammu & Kashmir’s Srinagar.
103. NABARD All India Financial Inclusion Survey (NAFIS) conducted by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), was released by Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Dr. Rajiv Kumar in New Delhi. It is the first all India rural financial inclusion survey By NABARD.
104. Union Ministry of Women and Child Development announced to observe September 2018 as the National Nutrition Month to mark the country’s fight against malnutrition.
105. The Supreme Court ruled that the “None of The Above (NOTA)” option will not be applicable for voting in the Rajya Sabha elections. It was made by a bench of Justices comprising CJI Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud.
106. Maruti Suzuki launched a new version of Ciaz 2018 with prices starting from Rs.8.19 lakh.
107. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has become the first public sector enterprise to make a transaction on the “TReDS platform”, which is an online electronic institutional mechanism for facilitating the financing of trade receivables of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) through multiple financiers.
108. Chhattisgarh Cabinet approved the proposal to rename Naya Raipur as ‘Atal Nagar’. It was announced by the Chief Minister Raman Singh. The Bilaspur University will be known as Atal Bihari Vajpayee University while the Narrow Gauge Line will be called Atal Path.
109. The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated various projects in Junagadh district of Gujarat. These included the Government Civil Hospital, a milk processing plant and some buildings of the Junagadh Agriculture University.
110. President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated the International Buddhist Conclave in New Delhi. The theme of the conclave is ‘Buddha Path – The Living Heritage’.
111. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) to submit an action plan on the management of electronic waste within three months.
112. The Centre unveiled a draft scheme for extending the affordable air travel programme UDAN to international circuits, with state governments identifying the routes for operation. The draft International Air Connectivity (IAC) scheme envisages to increase the international ticketing to 20 crores by 2027.
113. NITI Aayog released five thematic reports on Sustainable Development in Indian Himalayan Region. It was released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar, CEO Amitabh Kant and member Dr V K Saraswat in New Delhi.
114. The Health Ministry has lifted the ban and allowed all private retail stores to sell Oxytocin, life-saving hormone, from 1st September. It has already banned the import of oxytocin and its formulation.
115. Rajasthan’s Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje launched India’s largest business incubator the Bhamashah Techno Hub in Jaipur.
116. Odisha’s Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said that Odisha aims to leverage its ports. This move is a part of a push to develop the State as a manufacturing hub in eastern India that could serve the larger South Asian regional market.
117. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman accorded approval for procurement for the Services amounting to approximately Rs. 46,000 crores.
118. Chinese Defence Minister Lieutenant General Wei Fenghe has landed in New Delhi with an aim to improve bilateral relations, especially on military ties. He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
119. President Pranab Mukherjee has launched the National Electoral Transformation (NETA) mobile application to rate Members of Parliament (MPs) and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLAs).
120. INS Vikramaditya will be fitted with a marine hydraulic system to boost the air operations of the ship. Technodinamika, a subsidiary of Russia’s Rostec State Corporation, will install the system in the Indian Navy ship by May 2019. Hydraulics technology uses fluid pressure to power machines.
121. Dr.Reddy’s Laboratories said that its Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) plant in Srikakulam Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Andhra Pradesh, has received an Establishment Inspection Report (EIR) from the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
122. The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has reportedly said that people will be allowed to make calls and use the internet during flights (at 30,000 ft) from October.
123. The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), a global monument conservation body, has launched an initiative to assess the damage to the rich cultural and built heritage in flood-devastated Kerala and set up an emergency response platform.
124. TVS Motor Company launched the new 110cc motorbike Radeon. The two-wheeler with advanced features is priced at Rs. 48,400 and is showcased in Delhi.
125. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami laid the foundation stone for setting up of a Special Investment Region (SIR) in northern Krishnagiri district to attract investments. The Special Investment Region (SIR) would be jointly developed by GMR Infrastructures Limited and the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (TIDCO).
126. India’s first biofuel-powered flight landed in Delhi, covering the distance between Dehradun & Delhi. The biofuel is developed by CSIR-Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP), Dehradun. The flight test was successfully completed by SpiceJet.
127. The Statistics from 14 cities across India have been analyzed by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE). The analysis titled The Urban Commute was released in Kolkata.
Top 3 in Overall emissions and energy consumption:
Top 3 in Pre-travel trip emissions and energy consumption:
128. The Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS), Mumbai, has started its regional centre on the campus of Wetland Research and Training Centre (WRTC) near Chilika Lake, Odisha from 27th August.
129. “Atal Ji Ne Kaha” is the latest of the books on the BJP patriarch and former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee launched with a message by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The book is Authored and compiled by Brijendra Rehi. Mr. Rehi is noted Doordarshan producer and senior journalist. The book has been published by Darpan Publication.
130. India’s first Indian human mission will be launched by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) by 2022. This was stated by the Union Minister of State (I/C) Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh. India is the fourth nation in the world to launch a Human Spaceflight Mission. So far, only the USA, Russia and China have launched human spaceflight missions.
131. The Union Government has constituted a 21-member science and technology council to advise Prime Minister Narendra Modi on matters related to science, technology and innovations. The council has been named as Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Committee (PM-STIAC). The council will be headed by K Vijay Raghavan, the principal scientific adviser to the Union Government.
132. India’s first Inter-State Transmission System (ISTS) connected wind power project commissioned in Bhuj, Gujarat. The energy generated from this project is being purchased by Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
133. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated ‘Jaipur Foot’ camp in Hanoi, capital of Vietnam .
134. The third edition of World’s Biggest Open Innovation Model – Smart India Hackathon 2019 was launched by the Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi.
135. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami has inaugurated India’s tallest Film Studio named ‘MGR Centenary Film Studio’. The 56 feet tall, 110 metres long and 100 feet wide studio was constructed using funds collected by the Federation of Film Employees Union of South India (FEFSI), at Paiyanur.
136. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its approval for implementation of an umbrella scheme “Ocean Services, Technology, Observations, Resources Modelling and Science (O-SMART)”. The scheme covers a total of 16 sub-projects, which address ocean development activities such as services, technology, resources, observations and science.
137. Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry launched the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA) to promote a culture of innovation and research in higher education, it was announced by Union minister Prakash Javadekar.
138. Idea Cellular Ltd has announced that it has completed its merger with Vodafone India Ltd (VIL) and Vodafone Mobile Services Ltd (VMSL) after getting approval from the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT).
139. The third edition of World’s Biggest open innovation model “Smart India Hackathon 2019” was launched by the Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi.
140. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) made public 13 standardized state-of-the-art ship designs suitable for large barge haulage on river Ganga (National Waterway-1). This marks attaining a critical milestone in the growth of the country’s Inland Water Transport (IWT) sector.
141. IBM has partnered with Indian IT companies for its “Call for Code” initiative that aims to build global solutions for disaster management. Indian IT companies that will partner with IBM for Call for Code initiative include Persistent Systems, Invest India, Wipro, Capgemini and NASSCOM.Exams RiderDownload Our Apps & Watch Latest News